Thursday, February 25th, 2010...12:30 am
Interview – Leslie Montenegro
It’s time for another behind the scenes look at NAPP HQ. This time it’s Leslie Montenegro! Leslie is the Marketing Graphic Designer for PhotoshopUser and Layers Magazine as well as the corresponding websites. I’m so glad she agreed to do this. I don’t know about you guys, but I am loving that the designers are getting in on a little fame. If you ask me, it’s about time they did! They totally deserve it!!
Here is the next installment of the NAPP Interview Series.
Leslie “Little Ninja” Montenegro
(click the pic to see some of Leslie’s work)
1. How did you come to work for NAPP?
I used to work for a yacht charter company. One day, a coworker and I went to one of Dave Cross’s seminars in Orlando, FL. While we were there my co-worker said “you should work for this company” and I said, “yeah, I wish” or something like that. A few weeks later my co-worker found out KMG was hiring for a web/graphics position and told me I should interview with them. Long story short, after attending a group interview with a bunch of other talented people I definitely thought I’d never be able to get in, and look at me now!
2. What’s a typical day like for you at NAPP HQ?
First thing I do is check my email, then I realize how much I need coffee so the coffee journey begins. There’s usually a great morning coffee crowd and we catch up on what everyone’s done that weekend or the night before. Then I walk back to my desk and start “working” if you can call it that! Sometimes I look for inspiration and other times I know exactly what I want to create and away it goes. Then, I realize that I’m out of coffee… ;D
3. Do you ever get intimidated or unsure of yourself when submitting designs for magazine issues? -from NAPP forum member
Duh, yes! Felix Nelson (our creative director) is my boss and Scott Kelby owns the company. How could I not be intimidated?) Of course, in the end, Felix is always super cool but I’m human, ya’ know?
4. Do pieces that you work on ever get turned down or does everyone collaborate on ideas before you work on projects? -from NAPP forum member
I wouldn’t say they get turned down, but they do get re-worked sometimes. Often times we’ll have a meeting where we all collaborate on ideas for a campaign or a big project. Also, since I work with such talented people if I’m low on ideas I can ask anyone around and get some awesome idea or they’ll say just the right thing to get my own ideas going.
5. Which is your personal favorite of the Kelby Media Group sites? -from a NAPP Forum Member
Heh, heh. The ones I’ve designed of course! ;D My favorite is definitely the NAPP public site (http://www.photoshopuser.com), not only because I was involved in its creation, but it’s a great looking site and very easy to use.
6. Dealing with the marketing graphics for the websites, what do you consider the most challenging aspect? -from Erik Bernskiold via email
Trying to creatively accommodate all the content written by Nancy (NAPP_News) and Mary (Marketing Mgr.) into 72dpi. (laughs)
7. Where do you draw your inspiration from for new graphics? -from a NAPP Forum Member
The craziness inside my head + extensive Internet surfing = my creative ideas. I’m constantly inspired by everything around me and especially all the talented people that I work with.
8. If you could swap places with any other NAPP staff member for a day, who would it be and why?
Now that’s difficult to narrow down to just one, but I would have to choose Matt Kloskowski because he gets the most love letters I’ve ever seen! No, no I’m just kidding. But Matt really is super talented and he gets to do so many awesome things… Who wouldn’t want to be him for a day?
9. It’s said that when PSW comes around everyone on staff gets a job specific to the conference – what’s yours?
After only 2 hours of sleep and tons of coffee you can find me at the badge-holder pick up desk, as a cashier in the bookstore, and helping out the instructors in some of their classes.
10. If you had to design a marketing piece for an energy drink based on the personality of a NAPP Staff member, who would you choose and what would go into the design?
Interesting question… Well, everyone here at work calls me the “Midget Ninja” (loooong story), so I would probably design an energy drink around the idea of little ninjas. Hahaha! Oh! The ideas running through my head right now!
Thank You Leslie!! It is so great to have you here!